Publish your original backroad travel story or photo essay on Backroad Planet with these simple guidelines for guest writers and photographers.
At Backroad Planet we enjoy sharing the stories of fellow travelers, especially when they write about destinations we have not yet covered. Over the years we have been privileged to feature travel stories by several exceptional writers and photographers. In fact, one of those articles, The Haunting Town of Rodney, Mississippi by photographer Ashleigh Coleman, has become our most popular post to date!
A Selection of our Featured Guest Posts
Although we do not pay for freelance journalism, we do provide a forum to showcase your work including links to your web site and/or social media platforms. Upon publication, we will promote your article with the same tenacity and energy with which we promote our own posts.
If you are interested in doing a guest story or photo essay for publication on Backroad Planet, email us at email@example.com or complete the Contact Form at the bottom of this page and share your story synopsis, sample photos, and links to previous articles for our consideration.
Guidelines for Guest Contributors at Backroad Planet
Please read through the following guidelines before submitting your story proposal.
- All content must be entirely original and not duplicated or recycled from anywhere else on the web. All content must be written by you.
- We are only interested in travel articles about destinations you have actually visited yourself.
- Your story, article, or guide must be detailed and engaging in order to provide valuable content for our readers. We recommend 1,000+ words in order for your article to match the high-quality of our native content. We will not publish “quickie” posts that were obviously written just to get a link back to your site.
- We reserve the right to edit any content you submit to us.
- Please submit 20+ photos, including one landscape photo to be used as a featured image with text overlay for promotion on social media. We like photo-essays and photo-intensive posts!
- All photos must be your own and shot on location during your travels.
- Photos should be at least 700 px wide for standard posts with a sidebar, or 1300 px for full-width photo essays (typically professional quality images). We can resize and optimize large images to fit our format.
- Photos must be hosted on our site.
- We prefer that you write your post in WordPress and email us the HTML code in a Google doc, although standard text is fine, too.
- In some cases we may add you as an Author user on Backroad Planet to facilitate the process.
- You may include one or two relevant links to your own web site in the body of your text.
- Links to other relevant sites are also encouraged.
- We reserve the right to remove any links we deem inappropriate.
- We do not accept any links to commercial sites or affiliate sales in content. If you are interested in contributing a sponsored post, please contact us regarding our rates.
- You will need a head shot (square) to accompany your author bio at the bottom of the post. Author bios should be approximately 100 words and may include links to your social media accounts and web site. See sample bios at the bottom of any of our guest contributor posts.
- We will promote your guest post on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and various other cyber-locations and sharing threads. We expect you to do the same.
- We also encourage you to link to your article from your personal website(s).
- Our policy at Backroad Planet is to always respond to feedback from our readers. You will need to subscribe to the comments of your post so you will receive notification to reply to all comments and questions about your article.
- If you do not already have a Gravatar, please get one so that your head shot will accompany your comments.
Thanks to Bethaney Davies of Flashpacker Family for providing a template for our guest contributor guidelines!