Publish your original travel story, photo essay, or sponsored post on Backroad Planet by following these guidelines for guest writers, photographers, and brand partners.
At Backroad Planet we enjoy sharing the stories of fellow travelers, especially when they write about destinations we have not yet covered. For this reason, we occasionally accept guest article submissions from travel bloggers or journalists seeking to further their portfolios, and we would be happy to consider a proposal should you fall into this category.
Over the years we have featured travel stories by several exceptional writers and photographers. In fact, one of those articles, The Haunting Town of Rodney, Mississippi by photographer Ashleigh Coleman, has become one of our most popular posts to date!
A Selection of our Featured Guest Posts
Although we do not pay for freelance journalism or photography, we do provide a forum to showcase your work, including links to your website and/or social media platforms. Upon publication, we will promote your article with the same tenacity and energy with which we promote our own posts.
We also accept proposals for sponsored content from travel brands and destinations.
If you are interested in placing content for publication on Backroad Planet, please take a moment to read through our guidelines. Then, complete the contact form at the bottom of this page and submit your story synopsis, sample photos, and links to previous articles for our consideration.
Sponsored content may be submitted using the contact form, as well.
Guidelines for Guest Contributions to Backroad Planet
Please read the following guidelines fully before submitting your proposal.
- We will not consider any opportunities for content placement unless you are 100% transparent about your affiliation. If you are a PR agent or freelance writer representing a travel brand, destination, or other entity, please let us know up front.
- You must fully disclose the goals and intentions of your proposal.
- If you are representing a client, destination, or brand, your proposal will be considered a sponsored post.
- We do not accept “middleman” posts from freelance writers representing a client and seeking to publish without charge on our website. We prefer to negotiate directly with brand marketing representatives or PR agencies.
- Affiliate-driven product review sites fall within the sponsored category, but we charge a flat fee rather than negotiating a rate based on budget and deliverables.
- All content must be entirely original and not duplicated or recycled from anywhere else on the web. All content must be written by you.
- We are only interested in travel articles about destinations you have actually visited yourself.
- Your story, article, or guide must be detailed and engaging in order to provide valuable content for our readers. We recommend 1,000+ words in order for your article to match the high-quality of our native content.
- We will not publish “quickie” posts that were obviously written just to get a backlink to your site.
- We reserve the right to edit any content you submit to us.
- Please submit 20+ photos, including one landscape photo to be used as a featured image with text overlay for promotion on social media. We like photo-intensive posts!
- All photos must be your own and shot on location during your travels.
- Photos should be at least 1200 px wide for standard posts with a sidebar, or 1300 px for full-width photo essays (typically professional quality images). We can resize and optimize large images to fit our format.
- Photos must be named descriptively (example: “mountain landscape.jpg,” not “IMG1234.jpg”)
- Submit photos by WeTransfer or with a link to a hosted site that allows downloads.
- All published photos will be hosted on our site.
- Submit two links to your post in a Google doc by email (email@example.com).
- One link will be your written content (minus photos), and the second link will include photos with suggested placement in the story.
- In some cases we may add you as an Author user on Backroad Planet to facilitate the process.
- You may include one or two relevant links to your own website in the body of your text.
- Links to other relevant sites are also encouraged.
- We reserve the right to remove any links we deem inappropriate.
- Links to commercial sites or affiliate sales in content are allowed in sponsored posts only.
- If you are interested in contributing a sponsored post, please include your budget in the Contact Form.
- Please understand that in order to avoid Google penalties, we do not accept payment for dofollow links. All paid backlinks will be nofollow, and to comply with FTC regulations, we always disclose.
- You will need a head shot (square) to accompany your author bio at the bottom of the post. Author bios should be approximately 100 words and may include links to your social media accounts and website. See sample bios at the bottom of any of our guest contributor posts.
- We will promote your guest post on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and various other cyber-locations and sharing threads. We expect you to do the same.
- We also encourage you to link to your Backroad Planet article from your personal or corporate website(s).
- Our policy at Backroad Planet is to always respond to feedback from our readers. You will need to subscribe to the comments of your post so you will receive notification to reply to all comments and questions about your article.
- If you do not already have a Gravatar, please get one so that your head shot will accompany your comments.
Proposal Contact Form
Thanks to Bethaney Davies of Flashpacker Family for providing a template for our guest contributor guidelines!